SOUTH JORDAN, UT – Today, Congressman Burgess Owens addressed voters in the Fourth District Congressional Debate to outline his strong record that has delivered results for Utahns.
“From strengthening education and lowering costs to supporting critical water projects and combatting human trafficking, I have led the charge to deliver real results for Utahns in the Fourth District,” said Rep. Owens. “While Democrat-controlled Washington spends your family’s hard-earned paychecks on their pet projects, I have never stopped fighting to make Utah safer, stronger, more free. Our work is just beginning, and I am honored for the opportunity to serve our great state.”
Fighting Inflation & Supporting Utah Small Businesses
- Championed efforts to unleash U.S. energy independence, lower costs at the pump, expand opportunity zones, help businesses recover from the pandemic, and make the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 permanent, saving Utah families over $3,000 per year.
- Serving on Education and Labor Committee as Ranking Member of the Early Childhood Subcommittee.
- Championing efforts to redirect approximately 90% of unspent American Rescue Plan funding for education to combat learning loss and help local school districts implement evidence-based school safety measures.
- Leading several pieces of legislation to combat learning loss, secure classrooms, protect parents’ rights, require transparency in the classroom, prevent the use of taxpayer dollars from being used for critical race theory, and protect girls’ sports.
Advocating for Rural Utah & Supporting Critical Water Resources
- Secured $23 million in funding for the Central Utah Water Project, which provides the majority of drinking water to Salt Lake and Utah Counties.
- Helped pass legislation that expands and reauthorizes the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) for victims of radiation exposure.
- Championing efforts to save the Great Salt Lake, bolster water resources, increase broadband connectivity, and provide relief for agricultural losses due to drought and wildfires.
Combatting Human Trafficking & Supporting Survivors
- Secured over $300,000 in funding for housing for Utah human trafficking survivors.
- Supported legislation to prevent the sexual exploitation of children, prosecute predators, bolster law enforcement training, improve support for survivors, and prevent human trafficking kingpins from evading accountability through corrupt, crime-ridden “golden passport” schemes.
Standing with Law Enforcement & Protecting Public Safety
- Introduced legislation to extend disability benefits to officers who developed cancer or lost their lives while dismantling clandestine labs, help rural police departments hire and train more officers, and enhance federal punishments for crimes against first responders.
Improving Health Care
- Advocating to save and strengthen Medicare, lower prescription drug costs, increase competition in the marketplace, and modernize telehealth services.